Wylie Fire Rescue – Wylie, Texas
Firefighter/EMT or Firefighter/Paramedic Testing Date: 10/13/2017
- General Summary
- If you are enrolled in Fire Academy and/or EMT-B school, classes for BOTH Fire Academy and EMT-B school MUST be completed by September 30, 2017 in order to receive an invitation to test. If you have not and/or will not complete classes by 9/30/2017, you WILL NOT receive an invitation to the test. It is necessary to complete BOTH Fire Academy and EMT-B classes by 9/30/2017.
Under the command of Wylie Fire-Rescue supervisory staff, including the Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief, Battalion Chiefs and Fire Captains, controls and extinguishes fires, protects life and property and administers emergency medical services; does related work as required.
Must hold Basic Fire Fighter Certification issued by the State of Texas Commission on Fire Protection. Must be certified by the Texas Department of Health as an EMT-B or paramedic or have the ability to be a certified paramedic within a specified time limit.
Please click the links below for more information:
Testing Information (Download PDF reader)
- Essential Job Functions
- Responds to fire alarms, emergency medical service calls and other emergency calls during regularly scheduled shift hours, as well as responding off shift as needed.
- Performs fire suppression functions including rescue, deploying and operating hose, ventilating roofs, performing salvage work during and after fires, and other related tasks associated with fire suppression.
- Administers emergency medical services to injured persons.
- Works indoors and outdoors, subject to extreme temperature, inclement weather, hazardous conditions and intermittent exposure to dust, fumes and loud noise intensity.
- Maintains physical activity over prolonged periods of time including standing, attacking a fire, walking, kneeling and stooping in awkward positions, and moving/lifting heavy objects up to and over 100 pounds while wearing approximately 50 pounds of bunker gear and equipment.
- Performs EMS duties as required under local protocols for his or her current level of certification.Must pass any EMS school of any level and obtain certification/license if sent to the training.
- Maintain good standing with medical director.
- Passes all required tests administered by the medical director or his or her agents including annual protocol tests and card course assessments.
- Inspects, cleans and maintains apparatus, equipment, quarters and grounds.
- Conducts inspections of businesses and hydrants to ensure compliance with City ordinances pertaining to fire prevention codes; drills and studies technical materials on equipment operation, fire suppression and fire prevention to improve or maintain an effective level of performance.
- Performs related duties such as physical training.
- Studies maps to learn City streets and hydrants.
- Performs as a responsible steward of the public trust and strive for excellence in public service, enhancing the quality of life for all.
- Acts in a civil, respectful manner at all times to management, co-workers and others.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be 18 years of age or older. Ability to reason abstractly using mechanical concepts. Must have the ability to take effective action in emergency situations; exhibit emotional stability and courage to perform hazardous firefighting duties under stress. Satisfactorily perform all job duties and functions at any time, even under possible sleep deprived conditions. Must be able to respond to major incidences or high-call volume during night hours. Maintain physical fitness, endurance, and ability. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of co-workers, management staff, citizens and the public. Ability to work overtime as needed. Ability to maintain an acceptable attendance history.
- Required Education, Training, Licenses and Certifications
- Required to have a High School Diploma or G.E.D. and a valid Texas Class “C” driver’s license with clear driving record.
- City of Wylie
- 300 Country Club Road Wylie, Texas, 75098.
Leave a Reply
Your email is safe with us.